Conestoga Trailer is as specific and unique as the origin of the word Conestoga itself. What do I mean by that?
Well, for the ones that haven’t heard so far- the word Conestoga is originating from 1690s-actually it was a name of an Indian Tribe, and later-on in Lanchester County was built a covered wagon which was called Conestoga.
Many decades after that we are witnessing the Conestoga trailer which is being designed based on the inspiration of the Conestoga wagons.
Having the characteristics, and features that the trucking industry needs nowadays, makes Conestoga trailers one of the most required specialized trailers that can be found in this industry.
Straight proportionally with the increased demand for the services that this trailer is offering, comes the increased prices.
Exhilarated by their uniqueness I have decided to dedicate this article to Conestoga trailers and their usage in the trucking industry nowadays in USA.
Furthermore in this article you will have the chance to read almost all details that exemplify a technical concern for the people that are interested to buy, or to operate with a Conestoga Trailer.
Let’s take a look!
1. What Is Conestoga Trailer
Designed to carry a huge variety of loads, and at the same time being versatile is what makes Conestoga trailer to be one of the most required trailers. The versatility of this trailer is enabling truck drivers to perform easily the loading as well as the unloading.
If we make comparison between the Conestoga trailer, and any other type of trailer, we can see that this specialized trailer is way more oblivious than other trailers.
What makes this trailer to be in a high demand is the fact that although it is specialized for transportation of heavy and large loads– the Conestoga trailer is not limited only to those loads.
Thereupon, the most common loads that Conestoga trailer is transporting are the following ones:
- Specialized Loads;
- Odd-sized Loads;
- Large Items;
- Palatalized Loads, and so on…
One more key reason why Conestoga Trailer is in high demand is the security that this trailer is offering for the load transportation.
The Conestoga Trailer is reducing the operation time for sure, and additionally it is offering a chance for truck drivers to increase the efficiency of their load transportation.
Moreover, the way that the system of this trailer is being designed is what provides load protection from the weather conditions, and from the elements on the load that can potentially harm the loads.
The structure of Conestoga trailer consists of the following parts:
- Rear Bows-The function of these bows is to increase the stability altogether with the smooth rolling;
- Rear Speed Locks- Likewise the rear speed locks being operated from the ground are increasing the safety of the trailer;
- Panalized Tarp- The panalized tarp was designed to hide the aluminum bows ;
- Uplift Bows- The role of the uplift bows is to maximize the inside clearance;
- Front Bows- The front bows are increasing the stability as well as the smooth rolling of the tarp;
- Bulkheads- Providing strength and security of the loads, as well as of the truck drivers;
- Rear Ends- Have a unique locking mechanism and are entirely ground operated;
Get FREE White Paper With 10 Secret Tips To Find The Best Canestoga Trailer
As you can see the Conestoga Trailer is a very specialized piece of equipment, and as such it plays a big role in the trucking industry.
2. Usage Of Conestoga
The usage of Conestoga Trailers is not as hard as it might seem at first sight. Although this trailer is specialized, it doesn’t require any additional maintenance, except the regular inspection of the clamp assemblies of the rear curtain, as well as the lubrication of the grease fitting for the rear locks.
Moreover, each truck driver of Conestoga trailer should know that he should perform inspections of the load before opening; also he should be sure that the tarp is properly tensioned.
Thereupon, if the truck driver notices that there are some parts that are being worn or missing; he should do immediate repairing because otherwise it can lead to an accident. Lubricating the latch plate and the lock threads on a regular basis is a “must”.
First thing first- The complete process of operating with a Conestoga trailer would look like this:
1. The process of opening the rear roll of the curtain comprises:
- Pulling the pin;
- Rotating the locking bar;
- Rotating the hinged clamp;
- After these three steps you will be able to open the curtain by pulling the rope on the side;
- And the final step would be-tying the rope to j-hooks on the side;
2. Later-on the second step would be the opening of the rear roll curtain, which includes:
- Pulling the pin;
- Rotating the lock bar;
- Rotating the hinged clamp assembly;
- Assembling the crank;
- Placing the crank into the roll pipe;
- Rolling the curtain with the aid of crank handle;
100 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT GPS AND FLEET MANAGEMENT
Hey! I'm George J. Magoci and I will send you a FREE eBook where you can learn 100 Things To Know About GPS and Fleet Management.
3. The process of releasing the rear locks looks like this:
- Inserting the crank handle into handle onto the lock jack;
- Turning the crank handle clockwise while locking the jacks;
- Reassure that the lock jack is loose;
- After that pull back the rear curtain clamp and push down the crank handle while raising the lock jack up, which should be attached to the magnet on the frame of the trailer;
- Last but not least is ensuring the car locks- which are under the tarp- to be loose before trying to move the unit in the direction to the bulkhead;
#Optional Tip: If you are required to secure the front lock:
- Reassuring that the car locks are in loose before moving the unit towards the front bulkhead;
- The truck driver should reassure that the latches are aligned properly and that they engage the latch plates;
- The next step would be – engaging the pawl to insure the handle which should turn the lock mechanism in a counter-clockwise direction;
- The truck driver should rotate the handle unit until the unit is tight against the front bulkhead;
As you could see the usage of Conestoga trailer is not hard, all that you will have to do is to follow the instructions that I have listed above.
Moreover, if you are going to buy a Conestoga trailer straight from the official brand dealership, altogether with the trailer you will receive an operational manual as well, and that manual will make your job easier.