There a lot of different categories of trucks but among them is the family of biggest trucks in the world. Every trucking service needs specific types of trucks and because of that some of the trucks needed to become so huge that seeing them in person bring us fear.
Before I go further I want to mention the type of trucks that are used for transportation of different type of goods. Each of them has important place in the trucking world.
There are a lot of trucks for different purpose like:
These trucks are all similar but with a different type of trailers used for transporting different types of goods. The most specific truck in the trucking industry is the dump truck or in the construction industry known as haul truck.
Opens box bed is attached to the back side of the truck. This open bed use hydraulic pistons that are used for disposal of dumping material on the required location.
The dump trucks are mostly used for transportation of loose materials:
The biggest trucks that exist on the planet belong to the group of dump trucks/haul trucks, so let’s start with counting:
This truck is among the biggest trucks in the world with the width of 8,97m and height of the truck 15,14m. Can you imagine how big this truck is?
Caterpillar 795F AC has the best control and braking system in the industry and it is the first electric truck that is from one manufacturer. Another thing is that the Caterpillar 795F AC has the best dealer network.
Specifications of the Caterpillar 795F AC:
- Caterpillar 795F AC has Cat C175-16 engine model
- Gross Power of the Caterpillar 795F AC is 3400.0 hp
- Net Power is 3188.0 hp
- Stroke – 8.7 in
- Bore – 6.9 in
- Displacement – 5187.0 in3
2. Operating Specifications
- Top Speed -When is Loaded is 40.0 mph
- Nominal Payload Capacity of the Caterpillar 795F AC is 345 ton capacity
- Fully loaded Caterpillar 795F AC weights 570 tons
- GMW (Gross Machine Operating Weight) is 1257000.0 lb
- Turning Circle Clearance Diameter is 127.0 ft
- Turning Diameter ( Front ) is 112.0 ft
- Steer Angle achieve 34.0 Degrees
- The Caterpillar 795F AC Body Weight Range is (84,900-120,000 lb) or 38 500-54 500 kg
- Weight of the Chassis – 445524.0 lb
- Gross Weight (GMW) – Caterpillar 795F AC gross weight is 1257000.0 lb
4. Electrical Standard Equipment of Caterpillar 795F AC
- 150 ampere Brushless Alternator
- 210 ampere hour batteries
- 12 volt Electrical Converted
- Backup Lights
- Hazard Lights
- Rear LED Lights
- Front LED Lights
- Tail LED Lights
As you can see the Caterpillar 795F AC as one of the biggest trucks in the world have great specifications which will give you great power, capacity and great productivity. His power and the low operating cost make it perfect for mining applications. It has four corner blended retarding and increased driving confidence over the control of the truck.
Hitachi EH50000AC-3 is the second of the biggest trucks in the world that I want to include in this article. It is made by Hitachi in Las Vegas and in 2012 Hitachi EH50000AC-3 was shipped at MINExpo International. As one of the biggest trucks in the world have high efficiency and most advanced IGBT AC-Drive system which makes it one of the most advanced mining trucks.
Specifications of Hitachi EH50000AC-3:
1. Dimensions of the Hitachi EH50000AC-3
- Hoist – Twin 3 stage
- Max Height is 296 inches or 7520 mm
- Width – 339 inches or 8610 mm
- Overall Length is 610 inches or 15490 mm
2. Weights of the Hitachi EH50000AC-3
- Gross Vehicle Weight 1102311 lbs or 500000 kg
- Payload 296000 kg or 652567.5 lbs
3. Hitachi EH50000AC-3 has AC-Drive technology
- The Slip/Slide Control System is anti lock brake system which makes it really important in unsafe conditions
- The pitch control feature for Hitachi EH50000AC-3 as advanced AC-Drive System means reduced bouncing of the truck.
- Another feature when it comes to Hitachi EH50000AC-3 that is not a case for the other biggest trucks is the side control feature that improves the operation of the truck trough slippery conditions while turns.
- The improved IGBT system provides better efficiency
- Electric braking
- The Alternator, the traction motors and the Grid resistors are air cooled
You can see that the Hitachi EH50000AC-3 as one of the biggest trucks in the world have advanced technology for mining trucks. The performance makes this truck have low diesel fuel consumption and low maintenance cost.
The braking system makes it steady and secure which makes it one of the biggest trucks that are reliable and perfect for mining materials.
8. Belaz 75601
Third on this list of biggest trucks in the world is Belaz 75601 it is used for transportation of loosened rocks. The Belaz 75601 truck is used in the construction of facilities and highway systems.
Specifications of Belaz 75601:
- The Belaz 75601 has speed around 64km/h
- It has AC/AC Electromechanical transmission
- Length: 14900 mm
- Height: 7470 mm
- Width: 9450 mm
- Turning Radius is 17,2m
- Fuel Consumption of Belaz 75601 is 198 g/(kW.h)
- On the front wheels and the rear wheels, it has dry disk brakes
- Parking Disk Brakes
- It has Turning Radius 17,2m
The Belaz as one of the biggest trucks in the world is perfect for transportation small rocks from place to place. The Belaz 75601 is used in different areas such as construction highways and roads. With the excellent braking system becomes one of the most stable which is important for these types of working conditions. The stability makes it one of the most purchased mining trucks.
Another truck that is classified in the 10 biggest trucks is Komatsu 960E-1/960E-1K and it is one of the most produced trucks of Komatsu. It provides good mining efficiency and together with the powerful engine and the high-quality braking system becomes one of the most efficient trucks.
Komatsu manufacturers use powerful engines to provide enough power for the electric motors that are mounted to the rear wheels. These trucks are produced to provide high-quality service operating 365 days in a year. Every piece of Komatsu equipment is designed to fulfill the highest customer expectations.
Here are the specifications of the Komatsu 960E-1/960E-1K:
- (Insulated-Gate Bipolar Transistor) AC electric drive system
- It weight around 635t
- It has Advanced Hill Start
- The Engine Gross horsepower is 2610 kW 3,500 HP
- The Engine is compliant with US EPA regulations for emissions
- Engine of the Komatsu 960E-1/960E-1K is fuel efficient (fuel efficiency is maximized with two-stage turbo charging which provide optimized air handling)
- Komatsu 960E-1/960E-1K has a standard pre-lube system. This system eliminates the increased overhaul and the start up wear
- Traction control
- Tight turning radius of 16m 52′ 6″
- Komatsu 960E-1/960E-1K has low slowing noise
- Reliable hydraulic system
- Brake accumulators
- Steering accumulators
- The truck cabin of the Komatsu 960E-1/960E-1K is spacious which provides excellent visibility
This truck as one of the biggest trucks has diesel/ AC electric powertrain that is made in the US Komatsu America Corp. This truck is not just one of the biggest trucks it is also one of the most efficient trucks for mining purpose.
Six in this list of 10 biggest trucks in the world is Terex MT 5500AC. This truck is used for surface mining. It offers AC drive system with reliable performance designed to meet the needs of the clients. As one of the biggest trucks with an overall length of 14,87m, width of 9,05m and the loading height of 7,67m have rapid flat speeds, uphill speed, and downhill terrain speed.
- Terex MT 5500AC has beam axle suspension that separates the road stress from the frame
- Terex MT 5500AC is powered with a 3,000HP 4 stroke diesel engine with 16 cylinders
- Maximum speed of Terex MT 5500AC is 64mph
- Have advanced AC drive systems
- IGBT technology
- Reduce Fuel Cost
- Improve reliability
- As one of the biggest trucks, it has very strong frame
For now, I mentioned 4 of the biggest trucks in the world and every one of them has unique specifications that make the truck be more or less desirable.
The Terex MT 5500AC is designed to reduce the fuel cost. Also as I mentioned it have a very strong frame which makes it durable and stable. The importance for this truck is that have a wide network of experienced dealers.
5. Belaz 75710
The Belaz 75710 as one of the biggest trucks is another Belaz production worth to be mentioned. This Belaz 75710 is manufactured in 2013 with 16 chamber turbocharged diesel engines. The Belaz 75710 use electromechanical transmission.
Specifications of Belaz 75710:
- The truck have 8 Michelin tubeless pneumatic tires
- Two diesel generators
- 4 wheel electric motors
- Have setup of two axle with two wheels
- The Belaz 75710 payload capacity is 496 tons
- It is long 67,58 feet (20,6 m)
- Belaz 75710 have turning radius of around 20 meters
- The top speed is 40 mph or 64 km/h
Belaz 75710 instead of a single engine is powered by two 65l 16 cylinder diesel engines. The horsepower of one engine is 2,300 horsepower so with two engines that are working together this truck is getting 4,600 hp.
The existing of two engines and the bigger power is used when the truck is caring the load but when the truck is going to get a load the truck is using only one engine to save on fuel. The double engine strategy gives double power when the truck is full with load and when it is empty there is no need to use both of the engines so it can switch on 1 engine to save money on fuel.
The concern about the Belaz 75710 is the operating efficiency because it has dulled tires, heavy empty weight and shallow bed.
Caterpillar 797B as another truck among the biggest trucks in the world first entered the market in the October 2002 after the first introduction in summer 2002. The Caterpillar 797B is the second generation of Caterpillar 797 biggest trucks series. The Caterpillar 797B stayed in production until December 2009 when the new Caterpillar 797F entered the market.
Caterpillar 797B as member of the biggest trucks in the world has these specifications:
- Weight is 33070lb or 15,000kg
- Height of the Caterpillar 797B is 13ft or 4m
- Computer controlled
- Equipped with seven speed planetary transmission
- Internal lock up torque converter
- The Caterpillar 797B uses six 11,680 lb or 5,300 kg radial tires (Michelin 59/80R63 XDR)
- This truck is used for heavy constructions and mining
The Caterpillar 797B is designed specifically for high-production mining and construction sites. With the 7,6m height and the 14,4m length the Caterpillar 797B is perfect for transportation of big quantities at one time which makes it economic and practical.
Why Caterpillar 797B is among the biggest trucks in the world says the fact that Caterpillar 797B is that large that can’t be driven on the highway. So how this truck is placed in the mining field? The Caterpillar 797B is taken in the working place in pieces and assembled there.
The most recent production from Liebherr is Liebherr T284 which is with innovative design followed by good operational success. All these parameters make this truck not just one of the biggest trucks but also one of the most used trucks.
Specifications of Liebherr T284:
- Liebherr T284 have gross weight of 661t
- Empty truck weight of 237.00 t
- The Engine model is MTU 20V4000 C23
- Option 2 for Engine model is MTU 20V4000 C22
- Option 3 for Engine model is Cummins QSK 78
- The Liebherr T284 payload is around 363 t
- The width of this trucks is 24ft or 7,42m
- Tier 2 for Emissions (USA/EPA)
- Standard tire sizes of Liebherr T284 is 59/80R63
- Optional tire sizes of Liebherr T284 is 56/80R63
- Use Bipolar transistor
- Drive system of this truck is Liebherr Litronic Plus AC drive system with the IGBT technology
- Liebherr T284 have speed of 64mph
- High quality brakes which make it steady and stable
Liebherr T284 is used for mining activities and it is present in every corner of the world. With the great fuel efficiency and the commodity of the cabin, this truck becomes one of the most favorite trucks in the world.
Liebherr has success with the previous trucks that were designed for mining and construction purpose such as Liebherr T 284C. However, the quality and the performances for the new Liebherr T284 are improved. This truck as one of the biggest trucks is the one with the lowest empty weight.
The Liebherr T284 improved as it is can meet the customers’ requirements any time any were to meet their targets getting low fuel consumption and improved efficiency.
2. Bucyrus MT 6300AC
Bucyrus MT 6300AC is manufactured in the USA. It is a two axle truck with a big payload capacity of 363 tons and with that capacity enters the in the group of the biggest trucks that are made. This truck has a powerful engine power of 3,750 hp and body length of 51ft or 15,57m.
The height of the trucks is also stunning with 44,32 ft or 31,51m together with the width of 31,82ft or 9,70m Bucyrus MT 6300AC it sure make this truck one of the biggest trucks in the world and surely deserves to be included in this list of 10 biggest trucks in the world.
Bucyrus MT 6300AC have an engine power of 3,750 hp with speed of 40 mph. The fuel consumption is also economic with around 1,3 US gallons or 4,921l. The Bucyrus MT 6300AC is not just one of the biggest trucks it is also one of the best trucks that can be used for mining. The mechanical parts for this type of trucks are available everywhere in the world which makes it easy for maintenance for minimum cost.
Specific is that Bucyrus MT 6300AC got the name with rebranding the Terex Unit Rig MT6300AC on 19th February 2010 when Bucyrus International Inc. took the mining equipment of Terex Corporation.
Specifications of Bucyrus MT 6300AC:
- Introduced in the public in 2008
- Payload capacity is 363t or 400 short tons
- Gross weight is 1,330,000 lb or 603,300 kg
- Overall height is 44 ft 4 in or 13.51 m
- Overall Width is 31 ft 10 in or 9.70 m
- Overall Length is 51 ft 1 in or 15.57 m
- Engine power is 3,750 hp or 2,796 kW net
- Fuel Capacity is 1,3 US gal or 4,921 l
- Engine model is MTU/DDC 20V4000
- Engine Arrangement is V-20
- Max loaded speed is 40 mph or 64 km/h
- Tire size is 59/80R63
At the top of this list is the Caterpillar 797F that is recent Caterpillar production. It as also worldwide ranked as the biggest truck among the biggest trucks in the world. It is the largest mining truck and as that, it took the attention of every industry in the world.
The Caterpillar 797F height is 21.39ft or 6.52m with the measured length of 48,55ft or 14,8m. The width of the truck is also notable 31,98ft or 9,75m. Caterpillar 797F has an operational weight of 687,5t going with the max speed of 68mph.
This truck among the biggest trucks has very big payload capacity which makes it more efficient of the previous Caterpillar member Caterpillar 797B. It is ranked as the most efficient mining truck from the mine operators because it can transport large capacity of mining material on one trip.
This truck beside the high efficiency has also low maintenance cost because of the many distributors around the world. Caterpillar 797B is the most used mining truck in the world. Besides mining the Caterpillar 797B is used in other industries that require transportation of large quantities.
Specifications of Caterpillar 797F:
- Gross weight is 1375000.0 lb
- Range of the body is 91,200-135,000lb or 41,368-61,235kg
- Weight Range of the Chassis is 464,359-483,134lb or 210,630-219,146kg
2. Operating Specifications
- Nominal payload capacity is 400t
- Turning Circle/ Clearance diameter is 138ft
- Steer angle is 40 degrees
- Clearance turning diameter is 138ft
- Top speed, when loaded, is 42mph
- Capacity is 314-350 yd3 or 240-267 m3
- Model Cat C175-20
- Net power is 3793.0 hp
- Gross power is 4000.0 hp
- Stoke is 8,7in
- Bore 6,9in
- Number of discs per side on the front is 10
- Number of discs per side/rear is 15
- Surface of the brakes is 51243.0 in2
Type of the tires is 59/80R63 – Michelin or Bridgestone
The trucks that I listed in this article as the biggest trucks in the world are used for heavy dirt transport and also for mining hauling jobs. These trucks in the construction industry are known by the term haul trucks, not the general term dump trucks.
The Caterpillar 797B uses one large diesel engine or sometimes two engines and in this way can produce enough power to the rear wheels. The fuel consumption of this monster trucks is 1 gallon or 3.8 liters in every 30 seconds.
What would we do without existing of this monster trucks? As we know the construction industry needs this trucks to build roads, houses, building and with the capability of this guys to do their job we would know a different world.
The importance of the biggest trucks is huge! Can you imagine the construction industry without these trucks? They sure can’t.